Tenant to Tenant Migrations
Migrate from one Microsoft 365 tenant to another with Insentra's proven methodology for tenant migrations.
Over many migrations Insentra have developed a robust approach to the migration of Microsoft 365 data as well as the surrounding infrastructure.
Why You May Need Tenant to Tenant Migration
Tenant migrations arise from a variety of business scenarios, the main ones being: Mergers or acquisitions, Divestitures, Geographical relocations, Tenant name changes.
In these scenarios where the business is already established in Microsoft 365, a tenant to tenant migration (and other migrations) may be required. These migrations can be complex and involve many moving parts with identity needing the most consideration.
What We Deliver
Our methodology ensures we deliver the right service the first time. We begin with business workshops to understand complex business requirements and an assessment of your tenant and infrastructure so we can ensure a fit for purpose migration, delivered by certified consultants and project managers. We will deliver everything required including:
- Migration Plan
- Detailed assessment of the environment
- End to end migration of Identity, Exchange, Teams, SharePoint, OneDrive and more
- Optionally migrate on-premises servers, Active Directory, file shares and other services as required
- Automation of tasks and processes where possible to streamline the migration
- Guidance around best practice for tenant migrations and inputs into your change management process
- Optionally manage your Microsoft 365 environment after you migrate and streamline your support and management of the environment
- Migration Assessment
- Tenant to Tenant Migration
- Enhanced 365 Managed Services
- Backup for Microsoft 365
Time to Chat About Tenant to Tenant Migration?
Request Contact Here!
Learn More About the Tenant to Tenant Migration Process
Read our blog and understand what the steps look like for an organisation facing a Tenant to Tenant migration.
Frequently Asked Questions
A tenant to tenant migration is simply when you have users’ identity, services and data in one Microsoft 365 tenant, and you need to move it to another one.
The common ones are Mergers, Acquisitions and Divestitures (MAD), where businesses are combining, or a part of one business is leaving another, e.g. being spun off or sold off.
Another scenario is geo relocation, where businesses need to move their tenants for data residency purposes, or they are moving their headquarters overseas.
Insentra represent Quadrotech in the ANZ region and have been a services partner for Quadrotech for many years, winning partner of the year multiple times. We are enabled and supported directly by Quadrotech where necessary and deliver tenant to tenant migrations to their consistently high standard.
You can’t change the tenant name once you’re in Microsoft 365. If you’ve adopted lots of services and you change your business name it can become a problem when you’re sharing links externally. Recipients become confused or mistake the different name for a phishing link email because the tenant name doesn’t resemble what they are expecting, raising suspicions.
Organisations have several options, especially in terms of collaboration features. You can set up guest accounts between two companies which are merging for simpler sharing of information. Or, you can invite collaborators to SharePoint sites, Teams, Yammer groups etc. There is also the ability to share calendars between exchange organisations.
With regards to divestitures or splitting of companies there are scenarios where organisations can operate individually within tenants by leveraging administrative units to separate the administrative function between two groups of users or two businesses. Alternatively, information walls, or information barriers can be set up between environments to restrict and manage information sharing should the businesses need this for regulatory requirements.
Finally, the ability to set up geo tenant licensing and move mailboxes, OneDrive and SharePoint sites into the correct location they need to be for data residency (GDPR) purposes is available for organisations conducting a geo relocation.
The technical considerations are driven by what the desired end state is from the migration.
- The major one is identity – identity is the backbone by which all aspects of a migration are underpinned. Identity controls access, permissions, governance, security and will undoubtedly be integrated into your wider projects. Done wrong, identity can have far-reaching implications to a project and the business, making it our top consideration
- Time constraints – in MAD for example, there may be legal obligations dictating the project timeline and how long the migration can take
- Data governance – who has access to what? What are we migrating in and what are we migrating out? The data regulations and the set-up of the tenant the users are migrating into must all be established at the start
Number one is change management. Ensuring user experience remains front of mind, from the physical migration of their mailbox and how their applications are integrated to the processes used and the communication plan followed. We cover this comprehensively during the planning phase of the migration, leveraging power user interviews, workshops and surveys to gauge what the business impact of the migration project will be.
Explore more on Tenant to Tenant Migrations
Deep dive into the benefits of Tenant to Tenant Migrations and what it truly entails