UEM Smackdown Solution Overview – Now with O365 Profile Container Whitepaper
FSLOGIX APPS WITH APPLICATION AND PROFILE CONTAINERS
Introducing: FSLogix Office365 Container for Citrix
Best of Citrix Synergy 2015 Winner, Application and Desktop Virtualisation, FSLogix addresses problems that have prevented wide scale adoption of the enterprise virtual.
Outlook and Windows Search to run at speeds on par with local installations (finally!). Profile Containers enable large file access and true Cached Exchange Mode for Office 365 and other hosted email products, eliminate the logon storm impact of folder redirection, and significantly reduces load on network and server resources. New in Q2: Starting in Q2, 2016, a subset of Profile Containers will be sold as a separate drop-in module, FSLogix™ Office 365 Container for Citrix, allowing administrators to take full advantage of our Office 365 support without having remove their existing profile solution. This new offering is the industry’s first dropin solution that enables true Cached Exchange Mode for all virtual workspaces using Office 365, and real time search for virtual desktops.
FSLogix™ Office 365 Container for Citrix installs in minutes, and allows enterprise to virtualise and persist OST files for users with XenApp, Terminal Services, and nonpersistent
or ‘pooled’ virtual desktop infrastructure. In addition to addressing email and search performance, critical settings for Office 365 such as OneDrive cache, Skype for Business global address list (GAL), and Windows search database will now persist between sessions.
IMAGE MASKING DRIVES REVOLUTIONARY INNOVATION
FSLogix Apps is a solution designed to enable IT Administrators to manage the emerging enterprise workspace, reducing the amount of hardware, time and labour required to support physical, virtual, and cloud desktops. FSLogix has developed a technique called Image Masking to create a single Unified Base Image that hides everything a logged in user should not see. This approach provides predictable and real-time access to applications and other workspace components like fonts, browser plugins, application and add-ons, easily addressing complex management problems like regional or departmental uniqueness of plugins – all from a single image. Image Masking uses advanced file system filtering which extends from the base image out to VHDs and other critical infrastructure areas.
Image masking functions identically and transparently across a wide range of Windows-based platforms, simplifying the path from traditional to virtual environments, with a single, unified approach to image management, profile access, and application delivery. Installed as a software agent, FSLogix Apps seamlessly integrates with Windows centric desktop virtualisation solutions from Microsoft, Citrix, VMware, and other industry leaders.
OUTLOOK AND OFFICE 365
- Finally a way to handle large files like .OSTs and .PSTs
- User profiles reside entirely in .vhd(x) files
- Easy migration from existing profile solutions
- Recover and optimise critical infrastructure
- Eliminate network logon storms, reduce traffic by an order of magnitude and <14 sec login
- Eliminate help desk calls and end user satisfaction issues from slow logons
FSLogix Apps targets the following three solution areas:
1. Gold Image Consolidation:
With Unified Base Images, enterprises can combine all applications, plus browser and app plugins, onto a single gold image, or greatly reduce their current number of images. Based on the image masking technique, users see only the applications, plugins and other components that they are licensed and authorised to see, simplifying application delivery across physical and virtualised Windows infrastructures. Every application, extension, font, etc., installed in the Unified Base Image is available in real time only to users authorised to access them. Unlike traditional application virtualisation, Image Masking allows real-time application execution with natively installed applications, and no repackaging or sequencing.
2. User Profile Containerisation:
Profile Containers are local or remote volumes which eliminate the need for folder redirection or Roaming Profile optimisation, allowing users to have a consistent, familiar, workspace experience with no limitations on the size of the profile or the size of any individual files. This approach solves the problem of large files (like OST’s and PST’s) in VDI and RDSH. Users and businesses increase productivity by having access to their unique work environment on any device, native application speeds and unbeatable logon times. Unlike other products, FSLogix provides this solution without the overhead of remote servers and additional configuration databases.
3. Just-in-Time Application Delivery:
FSLogix supports an unlimited number of Application Containers for situations where combining all applications into a single image is not practical, for licensing or technical reasons. Application Containers may be either local or remote volume libraries. Combining Application Containers with Unified Base Image technology provides the flexibility to IT to use the optimal design approach for their unique requirements.
When using Apps it is not necessary to sequence or package applications. All applications are installed natively using the application’s .msi install. From there, FSLogix Apps takes advantage of Active Directory to control the visibility of when any application is visible to individual users or groups.
FSLOGIX PROFILE CONTAINER
- Provides sub 15-second logons across all environments and locations for most enterprises
- Enables true Cached Exchange Mode, allowing Office 365 and internally managed email on virtual desktops to perform like locally installed
- Eliminates logon storms and recovers critical server and network infrastructure
- Consolidates profile contents to a single point of management for data retention
Slow logon and application launch times are one of the top complaints in virtual desktops. Profile Containers are a new architectural approach to address this problem. Instead of placing all of the user’s files on a network share like in the redirected files approach, FSLogix encapsulates the entire profile –including the registry– in an in-guest container. This advanced filtering approach removes the maximum amount of resource utilisation from processing user profile data and eliminates the need for legacy profile products and folder redirection. User profile performance is indistinguishable to local, yet administrators receive the benefits of centralised profiles, including easy off loading for data retention and compliance, with little or no ongoing administration.
FSLOGIX OFFICE 365 CONTAINER FOR CITRIX
This component provides just the award winning Office 365 support from Profile Containers, in a simple, drop-in solution that works alongside your existing profile management system.
True Cached Exchange Mode – with patent-pending OST containerisation, Outlook on XenApp and XenDesktop can now function and perform as if locally installed on a high performance workstation. Users don’t need to compromise email and calendar performance to adopt strategic initiatives like virtual desktops.
Real-Time Search – enables inbox and personal folder search to work as designed on XenDesktop, with maximum performance, and no workarounds requiring end-user training or unique behavior between physical and virtual environments.
Plug and Play management – features a micro-application footprint with drop-in installation, GPO templates, simple rules based configuration, and the use of existing CIFS/SMB servers, improving the ROI of existing enterprise infrastructure.
Infrastructure compatibility – works on all major virtual desktop and hosted email solutions, complimenting profile management products traditionally used in virtual workspace environments.
Affordable pricing – with an expected retail list price of $10 per user, there’s no barrier to making email on virtual desktops enterprise class.
FSLogix Apps, Application and Profile Containers, and FSLogix™ Office 365 Container for Citrix provide multi-platform support for all major Windows™ based virtual desktops, hosted email providers, and profile management products, turning virtual desktops into the enterprise class virtual workspace.
Installed as a software agent, Apps has key advantages over traditional application virtualisation solutions:
- Native application performance. Since applications run natively, performance is not impacted.
- Supports all Windows applications. Platforms can be traditional or virtual desktops.
- No need to sequence or package applications. Since applications run natively, there is no need to sequence or package. Consequently, all applications, including applications with device drivers, are supported (e.g. iTunes, Adobe Acrobat, Citrix and View clients).
- Compatible with existing application virtualisation solutions. Complements existing solutions especially for applications that cannot be virtualised.
- Citrix XenApp/RDSH silo consolidation. A single image can contain all virtualised and remote applications for all users, eliminating the need for silos.
- Multiple application versions in the same image. Application versions reside in the image and are assigned to individual users.
- Time-to-deploy significantly reduced. Since no packaging is required, FSLogix Apps can be installed onto existing servers and systems for quick deployment.
- Simplified image management. A single image can contain all versions of all applications for all users.
- Easy license management. Applications can be revealed or removed in accordance with license requirements.
- Compatible with application management systems. Can be used with solutions from a variety of vendors, including Altiris Client Management Suite or Microsoft System Centre.
We dare to be different
Insentra is a collaborative IT Services partner delivering specialised Professional and Managed Services. Our partner-centric model provides you direct access to industry expertise.
We believe great business relationships start with trust. We are 100% channel focused meaning we only transact and deliver services exclusively with our partners.
Partnering with Insentra provides access to:
Pre-sales assistance at no cost enabling you to increase sales efficiency and success.
- Increased opportunities: If we find an opportunity for further projects we will automatically notify you of the opportunity regardless if we are involved.
- A safe pair of hands: our team are the best in the industry and we treat your clients as though they are our own. Our success is based on achieving your client’s outcomes.
- A trusted partner with skin in the game: our non compete model ensures your clients remain yours.
Our dedication to you is based on our vision to be the number one channel services company on the planet. We do this by being the best version of ourselves, creating an outstanding environment for our team, loving the work we do and amazing each other and our partners in every way.
We are and always will remain a partner obsessed company.
Join the Insentra Community with the Insentragram Newsletter
Hungry for more?
Citrix Remote Working Readiness Planning
By [Gary Cohen]
We are amid an event which is impacting us in ways we could not have predicted. Events are forcing us to make decisions based on a constant flow of changing information and we are all seeking guidance in one way or another to ensure we can weather the storm and keep our organisation’s productive.